2013 Festival Calendar
It's going to be a great year!
About the Author
Aloha and Mahalo!
This guide is a collective effort of experienced festival enthusiasts, cultural junkies, world travelers and local experts. Many thanks to all of the wonderful contributors who have helped make this a useful, accurate and inspiring guide. We are working to make this the best guide possible so please contact us for inclusion of new festivals or inaccuracies you may find. Thank you!
Art and Cultural Festivals
Festivals are living and breathing museums of art and culture. By honoring and preserving centuries of tradition though festivals we are preserving the old ways for future generations.
Disclaimer and Intro
Have Fun, Be Prepared!
This guide is meant to inspire, entertain and educate. Locations, dates and conditions are subject to change without warning and it is possible that some information may be inaccurate. Certain countries have volatile political situations and are prone to natural disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis, and hurricanes. Do your homework before you travel and be prepared for the worst case scenario.
Electronic Music Festivals
Dance Dance Revolution
Electronic music was once associated almost exclusively with Western art music but from the late 1960s on the availability of affordable music technology meant that music produced using electronic means became increasingly. Today electronic music includes many varieties and ranges from experimental art music to popular forms such as electronic dance music.
Good Times in the Old Country
Europe has a lot of experience with partying. From age old traditions to giant music festival blowouts you really can't go wrong with this combination of culture and the sheer variety of festivals, races, carnivals, fairs and national celebrations. If you want to see how it's done head to Europe!
Family Friendly Festivals
Fun for the Whole Family
Well there are a lot of festivals in here catering to the big kids in us. These festival while some might claim they are friendly for kids (like Burning Man) we wouldn't bring our kids there.
Festival Calendar 2011
A Year of Festivals!
- 8 (2012), Yamayaki Grass Burning, Japan
- 10 – 16 Ati-Atihan, Phillipines
- 12- 14, (2012) Festival in the Desert, Mali
- 19 - 21 Thaipusam, India
- 19- 29 (2012), Sundance Film Fest (USA)
- 23 (2012) Chinese New Years, Hong Kong
- 21 – 24 (2012), Rainbow Serpent, Australia
- 21 - Feb 6, Big Day Out, Australia
- All Month, Harbin Ice Festival, China
- 6, Bob Marley’s Birthday Bash, Jamaica
- 5 (2012), The Superbowl (USA)
- 6- 8, The Battle of the Oranges, Italy
- 11- 21 (2012), Venice Carnival, Italy
- 12- 26 (2012), Viareggio Carnival, Italy
- 15, Hadaka Matsuri, Japan
- 17- 21 (2012), Carnival Rio, Brazil
- 18 (2012), Paraty Mud Carnival, Brazil
- 21 (2012), Mardi Gras (USA)
- 3 (2012), Iditarod, Alaska (USA)
- 4 – 7, Grape Harvest Festival, Argentina
- 5, Paraty Mud Carnival, Brazil
- 6-8, Battle of the Oranges, Italy
- 8 Holi, India (2012)
- 9-13 (2012), SXSW (USA)
- 9-20, Surfest, Australia
- 13, Calle Ocho, Miami (USA)
- 15 -19, Fallas de Valencia, Spain
- 17, St. Patrick’s Day, Ireland
- 23 - 27, Bali Spirit Festival, Indonesia
- 23-25 (2012), Ultra Music Festival (USA)
- All Month, Cherry Blossom Festival, Japan
- 13 - 15, Water Festival (Thailand)
- 15-17, Coachella (USA)
- 21 - 25, Splashy Fen, South Africa
- 23, Rouketopolemos, Greece
- 24, BYOBW Race (USA)
- 25 - May 7, World Gourmet Summit, Singapore
- 29, 30 & May 5 - 8, Jazz Fest, New Orleans (USA)
- 30 - May 1 Witches Night, Germany
- 5, Cinco De Mayo, Mexico City
- 7, Kentucky Derby (USA)
- 9, Victory Day, Russia
- 11-22, Cannes Film Fest, France
- 13-15, Joshua Tree Festival (USA)
- 15, Bay to Breakers, San Francisco (USA)
- 21, Cheung Chau Bun Festival, China
- 26-28. Primavera Sound, Spain
- 26 - 29, Monaco Grand Prix
- 27-30, Lightning in a Bottle (USA)
- 27-30, Sasquatch (USA)
- 30 (TBD), Cheese Rolling Festival, UK
- 12 - June 4, Prague Spring International Music Festival
- 3 - 5, Rock am Ring Rock am Park, Germany
- 6, Baby Jumping Festival, Spain
- 9-12, Bonaroo (USA)
- 10 – 12, Bluesfest, Chicago (USA)
- 10 - 12, Download Festival, UK
- 11 - 13, Pink Pop Festival, Netherlands
- 16 - 18, Sonar Electronic Festival, Spain
- 17 - 19, Provissirock, Finland
- 18, Arcata Bay Oyster Festival (USA)
- 20 - July 3, Wimbledon, London, UK
- 20- 26, Turkish Oil Wrestling, Turkey
- 21, Summer Soltice, Stonehenge, UK
- 22 -26, Glastonberry, UK
- 23 - 26, Gnaoua Music Festival, Morocco
- 24, Inti Raymi, Peru
- 24- 25, Electric Daisy Carnival (USA)
- 24 - July 3, Queenstown Winter Festival, New Zealand
- 24 - July 4, Taste of Chicago (USA)
- 26 Gay Pride Parade, New York (USA)
- 29, Haro Wine Festival, Spain
- 30- July 3, Rock Werchter, Belgium
- 30- July 3, Roskilde, Denmark
- 30 - July 3, High Sierra Festival (USA)
- 29 - July 3, Summerfest (USA)
- All month, White Nights, Russia
- 1 - 2, Roswell UFO Festival (USA)
- 2, Il Palio, Italy
- 4-16, Running of the Bulls, Spain
- 5-10, Summerfest (USA)
- 5 – 11, Nowhere, Spain
- 7 - 9, Camp Bisco, New York (USA)
- 7-10, Oxeygen, Ireland
- 8 – 11, Exit Festival, Serbia
- 8-10, Santa Fe Folk Market (USA)
- 8 - 17, Calgary Stampede, Canada
- 10, Beer Can Regatta, Australia
- 11 - 13, Naadam Festival, Mongolia
- 16- 17 Reggae on the River (USA)
- 16-24 Boryeong Mud Festival, Korea
- 17-23 Reggae Sumfest, Jamaica
- 21-24, Secret Garden Party, UK
- 21-24, Comic-Con, San Diego (USA)
- 29 (TBD), Festival of Near Death, Spain
- 29-30, Global Gatherings, UK
- 29- 31, Gilroy Garlic Festival (USA)
- 29- 31, Fuji Rock Festival, Japan
- 29- 31, Splendor in the Grass, Australia
- TBD, Rainbow Gathering (USA)
- 5- 7, Nature One, Germany
- 5- 8, Shambala Music Festival, Canada
- 5 – 8, Star Trek Convention (USA)
- 5 - 29, Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Scotland
- 6 -20, Kazantip, Ukraine
- 8 – 14, Sturgis Motocycle Ride (USA)
- 10-15, Sziget, Hungary
- 12-14, Outside Lands (USA)
- 16, Il Palio, Italy
- 13, Street Party, Switzerland
- 13- 14, Highlands Cultural Festival, PNG
- 13- 14, Summer Sonic, Japan
- 18-20 Pukkelpop, Belguim
- 25- 28, Air Guitar Worlds, Finland
- 29 - Sep 5, Burning Man (USA)
- 31, Tomato Festival, Spain
- 8-11, Bestival, UK
- 12, Moon Festival, China
- 16 - 18, Austin City Limits (USA)
- 16 – 19 Icarus Cup, France
- 17 & 24 + 6 weeks, Aloha Festival, Hawaii
- 17 - October 3, Octoberfest, Germany
- 27 - October 5, Vegetarian Festival, Thailand
- 30-October 2, Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival (USA)
- TBD, Vienna Recordia, Austria
- 1, Melbourne Cup, Australia
- 1 - 2, Day of the Dead, Mexico
- 10- 20, Pirate Festival, Cayman Islands
- 11 (TBD) Miss Columbia Contest
- 11- 13 Festival of Lights, Thailand
- 11- 21, Festival Gourmet, Mexico
- 18 – 21, Pushkar Camel Fair, India
- 19-23, Cannabis Cup, Holland
- 27 Monkey Buffet Festival, Thailand
Festival Tips for the Road
Festivals in Africa
Africa is where it all stared and ritual remains around harvest, manhood, fertility, religion, music and more. While we are focused on mostly more organized and larger gatherings there are many smaller tribal ceremonies of great importance. Given the opportunity to be invited to such a tribal gathering, it's probably something you shouldn't miss it.
Festivals of Asia
Asia has an important historical role in festivals. In fact fireworks which are seem in festivals around the world are an asian influence.
Fiestas - Latin America
Festivals South of the Border
Latin America is full of spirits and contains an abundance of cultures derived from mixtures of various European and native ancestries. One word of wisdom: when in the Southern continent that encompasses Brazil, Venezuela, and Argentina, do NOT refer to it as “South America”. Although the term has evolved out of convenience, the diverse peoples of this massive continent’s worth of sovereign nations, each with their unique cultures and histories, resent this banner label, especially because it titles them as “Americans”. For convenience here, we’ll use the label when we discuss the beautiful Latin nations to the "South of the Border."
Film Festivals Worldwide
We will bring you a select few of worthy festivals that combine history, location and an eye for great cinema.
You are what you eat! Our culture is deep rooted in food and one of the best way to experience new places. Be adventurous and enjoy local tastes like the locals.
The Land of the Rising Sun
Japanese culture ranges from its ultra-modern and frenetic cities to its quaint and pastoral countryside. One of the most influential nations in world trade, Japan has the third largest economy in the world in addition to being the fourth largest exporter and importer.
♫ For the Love of Music ♫
A music festival is a festival oriented towards music that is sometimes presented with a theme such as musical genre, nationality or locality of musicians, or holiday. They are commonly held outdoors, and are often inclusive of other attractions such as food and merchandise vending, performance art, rides and social activities. The Pythian Games at Delphi included musical performances, and may be one of the earliest festivals known. During the Middle Ages festivals were often held as competitions.
Races! Ready - Set - Go
Get your race on!
The earliest festivals around the world may have started as competitions. Some of these feature the world's best while others you can join in the fun. Always be safe, know you limits, help others and enjoy yourself.
Most festivals origins can be traced back to religious significance of some sort. The idea or ritual has shaped community and culture through the ages.
Spain's Crazy Festivals
Spain is a vibrant European nation that runs on a leisurely clock; afternoon siestas encourage late night dinners and even later nights of carousing until the sun comes up. A temperate climate and an extensive coastline is more than a little responsible for Spain’s laidback, jovial vibe. It’s also home to the surreal buildings of Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí, whose designs continue to fascinate and perplex.
Thailand is a popular tourist destination renowned for its natural beauty, religious ruins, and extremely modest price tag. Young travelers from around the world flock here for its tropical climate, relaxed beach culture, and delicious cheap food amidst the welcoming vibe of this Southeast Asian peninsula.
The World's Best Festivals
Welcome to the World's Best Festivals
Here you will find a collection of some of the greatest parties on Earth. This is a select list of the very best celebrations and we are growing.
Travel First Aid Kit
Spy Skills for the Road
Take a Walk on the Wild Side
Oh you party people - here are some of our top picks for you ragers in the bunch.
World's Strangest Festivals
Talk a Walk into the Bizarre
Human culture around the world has taken on many forms. What might considered bizarre in the West is normal to the East.